Monday, July 7, 2008

New musical obsession

from my new favorite genre of music: isolated, anonymous sad bastard making melancholy lo-fi songs in a genre more typically suited to almost cartoonish extremes.
The previous title holder in this weight class was Xasthur, who, despite being from California, was the perfect soundtrack for my November trip to the Arctic:


Currently holding the belt is Burial, some anonymous person from South London or something. I don't know anything about dubstep, so, yeah. But i know good, sad music when I hear it:

This snippet of an interview with the musician felt familiar and appropriate:

9: And the drawing on the front of the new album.
Burial: I've been drawing that same one since I was little. Just some moody kid with a cup of tea sitting at the 24 hour stand in the rain in the middle of the night when you are coming back from somewhere.


Thanks to my friends who introduced me to this last weekend.

No comments: