Saturday, May 3, 2008

R.I.P. Eight Belles


It's a little disengenuous of me, as someone who enjoys thoroughbred racing, to express sadness at the death of one of these [noble creatures/pieces of livestock], when I know perfectly well the physical strain that the sport puts these [beautiful/deply inbred] animals under. But of course I felt sad. It was interesting to hear how gendered she was (as the only filly in the race, and damn near the first filly to win the Kentucky Derby in decades) by commentators, both leading up to the race and while being eulogized, talking about what a brave girl she was, bravely giving it her all against all those colts, holding out to place 2nd.

(Oh yeah, wasn't able to get a ticket for the sold-out DBT show and doubted my ability to talk or sneak my way in.)

No comments: