Thursday, May 22, 2008

mission postponed




Not moving to LA just yet after all...


Decided, after consulting with several people whose advice I trust, to postpone my move, at least I finish my dissertation proposal. Which means I'll be in Chicago at least through the winter.



Don't feel like writing much write now, other than to say I'm watching one of my new favorite shows, "Shameless," and it's great. Probably my favorite British TV show ever, other than Father Ted. A few years ago, I planned on doing my research around Britain's hysteria over "anti-social behavior*," which led me to read a lot about the British literary class' disaffection with Britain's white working class. Shameless does a good job of humorously and affectionately, with a minimum of condescension and/or romanticism, portraying what Americans might call "white trash" Britain.


Whether this is a sign I'll soon be back to working on an escape plan to Britain or Ireland, I dunno. My dissertation research will definitely be taking place in the US, so I doubt it.

(*"Anti-social," in this particular discourse [if you're interested, google "ASBO britain" or something], doesn't mean the same thing that, say, American clinicians mean, as in markedly unempathic, sadistic behavior. The British punditry meant it in much the same way Giuiliani and allies might use it in their "Broken Windows" approach approach to crime reduction**.)

(**Don't want to get into this, but NYC's decrease in violent crime during Giuiliani's tenure wasn't much better than those of cities that took on a much less authoritarian approach to social order, and analysts who did think that New York's crime rate went down for any specific reason usually, as far as what I've read, tied it to initiatives associated with previous mayor David Dinkins, or massive gentrification.)

No comments: