Saturday, May 3, 2008

decollecting


As money is tight, had to sell a lot of records today. Some pretty good stuff (a lot of semi- to fairly-obscure European and Japanese hardcore, some dance music [Liaisons Dangereuses, Giorgio Moroder]), some of which had some sentimental value. Did not sell the above record.

I'm definitely of the opinion that for young-ish Americans, consumption is one of the major means through which we develop or enact our identity. (Romance, work, and education are also pretty major.) I'm not thinking of that as a good or bad thing, though it certainly has both positive and negative effects. (or Negative FX, if you're drawn to that record in the above collage.) I also think that by selling these records, I'm making some comment about where I'm at in life, and what sort of objects I choose to keep around me. I felt an odd sense of comfort that everything I brought in would be sold, that I got a pretty decent amount of money for it, and that a couple of the clerks at the store had already earmarked some of the records. Kind of like I found a nice farm family for them.

I want to explore the notion of resale and identity further at some point, but if anyone has any thoughts about consumerism or resale and identity (particularly consumerism of countercultural objects), please feel free to share.

No comments: